Other multiplayer thing

You have suggestions or want to give feedback to the game or the forum? Post it here!
BlueCrescentMoon

Other multiplayer thing

Post by BlueCrescentMoon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Alright, so look, I have a proposition to make with you Lewa, no I don't want your game. :lol: All I want, is to know beforehand when multi may come out, I wanna make a huge map pack to release on the day of multi. (or even when the game comes onto steam officially.) I know that yes, you may wanna keep the big day a secret and then announce it yourself for everyone to see and get hyped about, but I'm just sayin', if and when you know when your gonna wanna make the game official on steam or release multi, just shoot me a pm. I won't leak it or anything. I just wanna know so as soon as the big updates drop, I can get onto uploading the maps right away for people to play and have fun with. I'm sure the game will have a ton of more maps when it's released because, well I'm pretty sure you've been making more maps for the game. At least I think I've seen evidence of this as there are some maps in your videos nobody has access to, accept you. Cause I've never seen them anywhere. But I wanna make sure that when it comes out, people have a huge amount of maps to play so they don't get frustrated at too many low level maps or too many high level maps. I wanna add on the already growing collection and make it at least 1.5x as big as it'll be when it releases. ^w^
I'mma nerd, what else is there to say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSb0Euh4p58
Me ^^^

Lewa
Site Admin

Re: Other multiplayer thing

Post by Lewa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Sorry for the late answer. (was away for 2 weeks without internet.)

If i had a release date i would let the public know about it. :)
The truth however is that i simply don't know when the game will be finished. I'm currently finishing the multiplayer server (with the time-trial gamemode from the singleplayer) and then i can start working on the masterserver stuff.

The whole masterserver is a completely different beast and requires a lot of thought and careful planning (especially financial/legal wise but also from the tech/longevitiy side.)

Stuff like...

- how to update a server which is potentially communicating with a game client at runtime (lost/corrupted data due to interupption of an ongoing data-transaction)
- how to handle serverdowntime or what to do when the server can't handle the amount of traffic that is coming in (and the changes that i have to do to accomodate that, like removing/disabling features due to too much traffic.)
- what to do if the server runs out of storage space (both for the statistics/userdata and uploaded maps) (switching Hosts? Buying new storage space? And what with the additional costs that come with it? > More space = more expensive. Can i afford running such a server if the game is distributed for free?)
etc...

... have to be answered before i can even think about releasing the game with a working masterserver.

I'm still researching my options and it also depends heavily on if the game will be commercially sold on steam or distributed for free (which would probably also happen on steam) and the legal stuff that comes with it.

BlueCrescentMoon

Re: Other multiplayer thing

Post by BlueCrescentMoon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Yeah that's pretty true. I'm not rushing you or anything, just wanted to know if there would announcement. I wish you good luck with every last bit of it. <3
I'mma nerd, what else is there to say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSb0Euh4p58
Me ^^^