Moving Blocks

You have suggestions or want to give feedback to the game or the forum? Post it here!
The Hard Croc

Moving Blocks

Post by The Hard Croc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:13 am

Well, title's pretty self explanatory, moving blocks! So blocks moving back and forth on tracks! I discussed this in a video (which I don't want to shamelessly plug tbh), but I got the idea from Dr Gains' map "RiseAndShine"

He's got this crazy section with tons of bridges, and it immediately reminded me of all the moving staircases in Hogwarts from the Harry Potter series hahaha! Thought it might be an awesome idea to mention! I'm sure it'd get super complex and would surely be fairly taxing on lower end computers, but I think it's an awesome idea with tons of potential :)
Check out my channel "The Hard Croc" for awesome Celaria content and more!

Lewa
Site Admin

Re: Moving Blocks

Post by Lewa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:19 pm

The Hard Croc wrote:Well, title's pretty self explanatory, moving blocks! So blocks moving back and forth on tracks! I discussed this in a video (which I don't want to shamelessly plug tbh), but I got the idea from Dr Gains' map "RiseAndShine"

He's got this crazy section with tons of bridges, and it immediately reminded me of all the moving staircases in Hogwarts from the Harry Potter series hahaha! Thought it might be an awesome idea to mention! I'm sure it'd get super complex and would surely be fairly taxing on lower end computers, but I think it's an awesome idea with tons of potential :)
You mentioned this idea in one of your videos, am i right? Was it the one where you accidentaly pressed the reset key instead the respawn key? (Made my day btw... :D keep it up!)

Moving blocks would be a bit more demanding on the CPU, but it's certainly not impossible.
The bigges problem would be to adapt the movement and physics of the character to the moving blocks and implement new game logic for certain szenarios which would crop up. As an example:
  • new physics calculations need to be added for moving and rotating blocks (how they affect the players movement direction and accelleration, etc...)
  • How is the speed of the character handled if he runs on a moving block in the direction of movement? (Does he keep the momentum after he leaves the block?)
  • What happens when the player is squeezed in between 2 blocks? (automatic respawn?)
ect...

It's definitely a good idea which would enhance the gameplay experience.
I'll add this to my "Todo/Look into" list. But i can't promise anything as this requires a fair bit of reworking of code (in terms of physics calculations and collission detection as the current codebase was never designed for moving obstacles.) The current physics calculations and collission detection are also a bit finicky which would make the whole thing harder to implement (without introducing bugs...)

The Hard Croc

Re: Moving Blocks

Post by The Hard Croc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:18 pm

Lewa wrote:You mentioned this idea in one of your videos, am i right? Was it the one where you accidentaly pressed the reset key instead the respawn key? (Made my day btw... :D keep it up!)
Lmfao, yes, it was indeed that video. But to put it blunt, all that sounds awesome! Glad it's possible, and stoked you'll take it into consideration :)
Check out my channel "The Hard Croc" for awesome Celaria content and more!