Additional Feature

You have suggestions or want to give feedback to the game or the forum? Post it here!
BlueCrescentMoon

Additional Feature

Post by BlueCrescentMoon » Sun May 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Okay, so I feel like this is something that could be cool, a spectator camera type thing. A way essentially to see the player(s) run through the map as they do it, (Or as a recording kinda like how halo had "theater" mode.) This is just a little thing I feel like could be very cool since watching people do parkour is pretty cool, why not make this a case where you could make perfect runs or preform a "running duet" with other players online and record them making them look amazing, another thing that could uploaded to YouTube. If anyone remembers this old game, "ToriBash" it was a online/offline game based around muscle physics and fighting, but people could also do parkour runs in it, this could be a function very similar to the one they used for recorded runs in ToriBash. Just my try at something that may or may not be cool.
I'mma nerd, what else is there to say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSb0Euh4p58
Me ^^^

Lewa
Site Admin

Re: Additional Feature

Post by Lewa » Mon May 23, 2016 11:05 pm

I'm currently working on a replaysystem for the game. (It already works technically but there are still some minor things to fix.)
Currently the game loads a previously recorded run (if it exists) into the game if you start to play a map. (So you can essentially see a second character which is a recorded replay of one of your previous runs.)

I can't say for sure if (or how) i'm going to add a specific theater-mode into the game.
A "simple" playback system (like starting a replay and re-playing it in first-person) should be possible. (Anything more complex than that requires much more development time, so it would be much lower on the priority-list.)

BlueCrescentMoon

Post by BlueCrescentMoon » Tue May 24, 2016 12:37 am

Yeah I can see how it would be a lesser priotity and such. I only say "simple" because it would seem to be something a little easier to do than everything else you've done up to this point. I mean, I don't have too much experience in coding or in the engine the game is running on so I could be completly wrong and please correct me if I am. It's just my own assumption based upon the mechanic seeming simpler than everything else. I felt like this would be a cool little thing to add but of course you wouldn't have to I just like spitballing some ideas here and there to help. (I love being apart of community's and this one seems very nice so I'm really enjoying the process of the game being made and the feedback it's getting along with any way I can help.) [Shamelessly promoting my own art here but also trying to the word out cause this game is 10/10.]
I'mma nerd, what else is there to say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSb0Euh4p58
Me ^^^

Lewa
Site Admin

Post by Lewa » Tue May 24, 2016 7:55 pm

What i meant with "low-priority" is a more complex replay editor (like the replay/movie editor in Trackmania).
A more simple/streamlined replay option should be possible to implement.

Back in the day i didn't anticipate that i would add all those features into the game (replays, multiplayer, built-in editor, etc...) The code of the game is a bit bloated and cumbersome to use. (As a lot of this stuff was "tacked on" at a later date.) If i would make a complete rewrite of the game, i would structure all of this code differently. The fact that the game engine i'm using isn't truly Object Oriented doesn't help either (as seperating code is a lot harder/almost impossible.)

What i wanted to say that sooner or later i've to draw the line somewhere (in terms of features.) Especially if i want to finish the game in 2016.
Adding overly complex features which require a lot of development time isn't the smartest idea at the current state of development.
That's where devs have to say "okay, it isn't feasible to add this now, but we could add this feature in a potantiel sequel."

So yeah, a replay system will be added into the game at some point (currently working on other stuff like the master server) but it is probably going to be a more basic one.