Map editor suggestions/Me being me

You have suggestions or want to give feedback to the game or the forum? Post it here!
HibbyHubby

Map editor suggestions/Me being me

Post by HibbyHubby » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:51 am

As someone who can now count the time used in the editor in days. I would like to suggest some (hopefully) helpful tips or something like that.
First off, when you press enter to test, make pressing r take you back to where you started, Not the start point. I was changing the player start when testing my maps all the time.
Secondly, score times for the editor cannot be set and saved. So, like what ended up happening to me, I set a good time. Closed, came back and it was gone. It's not a big issue, but it's worth noting.
Third, I know this is a bit out there, but undo button? I can do without but I'm just forced to save after every 5 actions.
Fourth, An option to hide the checkpoint connections, or did I just miss it? I end up adding them last because of this.
Fifth, Is there a may to make new blocks parallel with existing turned axis on other ones? I would love that. I just type in the correct #'s on the side.
Sixth, Render distance size? I know this isn't important at all, but I noticed in my tower map, I could see into oblivion. (Sometimes two suns, ***?)
Seventh, There is no seventh.
Eighth, A way to "copy and paste" sections unto other maps. Ctrl only works for the same map. And when you have a word stamp at map beginnings. Well. Words take a ton of time.
Well, the editor is functional. I kinda end up hating it in frustration but love the functional simplicity. Its just me, a blank canvas, and a few number of buttons.
I've only been following this for a month or two. But I love it, if there is anyway I can support this awesomeness, I will try. (or let me know) I'm pretty happy this is greenlit. So far I'm just making maps. (Looking forward to multiplayer or greater model customization, personally I like blue)

Lewa
Site Admin

Re: Map editor suggestions/Me being me

Post by Lewa » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:32 pm

The editor definitely needs to be improved.
First off, when you press enter to test, make pressing r take you back to where you started, Not the start point. I was changing the player start when testing my maps all the time.
Aknowledged. In the meantime, you can just press "enter" two times which does give you the desired effect.
Secondly, score times for the editor cannot be set and saved. So, like what ended up happening to me, I set a good time. Closed, came back and it was gone. It's not a big issue, but it's worth noting.
That's done because of two reasons: First, it makes the mapformat simpler. And second: It does prevent users from tinkering with the times itself (getting the time on a simpler map, then making it harder and exporting it with the invalid times.) But i'll look into that.
Third, I know this is a bit out there, but undo button? I can do without but I'm just forced to save after every 5 actions.
That's something i also desperately need. It's just that it isn't that simple to add an "undo" button. But i'll work on that. (In one way or another i'll implement this function in the future.)
Fifth, Is there a may to make new blocks parallel with existing turned axis on other ones? I would love that. I just type in the correct #'s on the side.
Currently not. You can however rotate multiple blocks at the same time. In order to do so, select multiple blocks (so that they are highlighted) and set the rotation attribute to your desired value on the right side of the screen. This will then affect all blocks.
Sixth, Render distance size? I know this isn't important at all, but I noticed in my tower map, I could see into oblivion. (Sometimes two suns, ***?)
One thing i wanted to have is huge renderdistances. (So that you can still see the geometry on huge maps.)
The reason why you see the two suns, is that the lower one is actually the sun reflection. (You probably lowered the sun position so that it is nearer to the ground, am i right? This can indeed look weird.)
I have to fix the floor in future updates. Currently it doesn't render as far as the reflection of the geometry.
Seventh, There is no seventh.
Well then :P
Eighth, A way to "copy and paste" sections unto other maps. Ctrl only works for the same map. And when you have a word stamp at map beginnings. Well. Words take a ton of time.
Something that would be indeed usefull. Noted that on my todo list. :P
Well, the editor is functional. I kinda end up hating it in frustration but love the functional simplicity. Its just me, a blank canvas, and a few number of buttons.
It's true. The editor is functional enough (for the time being) so i released it to the public in this state. There are of course improvements needed. One of the things i wanted to add is raycasted block-placing. Currently if you want to place a block on the floor, it is always placed on a straight plane (even if you hover over an existing block, it is still placed behind it.)
I want to add a raycast which checks the geometry and places the block on top of that. This way you could easily add blocks on top of other blocks (or on their sides) without hassle.
I've only been following this for a month or two. But I love it, if there is anyway I can support this awesomeness, I will try. (or let me know) I'm pretty happy this is greenlit. So far I'm just making maps. (Looking forward to multiplayer or greater model customization, personally I like blue)
Nice to hear that. :) The best thing one can currently do is to spread the word about this game. It's hard to get noticed on the internet.

I'll work on the editor in the future. But my current focus is on the multiplayer and server stuff (this needs to be done.) Once that is finished and there aren't other things with higher priority on my list, i'll work on the editor again. :)