Future Maps

You have suggestions or want to give feedback to the game or the forum? Post it here!
BlueCrescentMoon

Future Maps

Post by BlueCrescentMoon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Alright, so I have a little thing I wanted to discus, in the future I'm sure more maps are going to come pre-set with the game but I feel like that a lot of the levels out now would be hard to get done for newer people. I was thinking about discussing how we could make some levels that give newer players the chance to still get a platin reward because it's an easier map to complete. Although I'm not sure what makes the maps hard or not.

I feel that the more accurate you need to be while moving as fast as you can is a way to make it harder, but even then when you have the exact opposite it can be somewhat hard. I remember when I first started playing the game I had trouble completing the first few maps and getting at least silver on them, now that I've practiced some I can go back now though and complete them with platin which is something I'm not sure about.

Since people can come back to the maps after they've gotten better and finish the maps faster. The reason I say this is because I'm not sure if that's meant to be the point, to practice on different maps to increase your skills and then come back to the harder maps or if we should have some maps that are deliberately easier to beat for the sole purpose of newer players. (I've started on more maps already and I'm thinking about making a set of shorter, easier maps to complete.)
I'mma nerd, what else is there to say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSb0Euh4p58
Me ^^^

Lewa
Site Admin

Re: Future Maps

Post by Lewa » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:50 pm

I was thinking about discussing how we could make some levels that give newer players the chance to still get a platin reward because it's an easier map to complete.
Platin was always ment to be the "hardest medal" to earn. (Platin should be kind of a "special" medal.)
Gold is what players should be able to achieve in a shorter timespan. :)
I feel that the more accurate you need to be while moving as fast as you can is a way to make it harder, but even then when you have the exact opposite it can be somewhat hard. I remember when I first started playing the game I had trouble completing the first few maps and getting at least silver on them, now that I've practiced some I can go back now though and complete them with platin which is something I'm not sure about.
Currently, the problem with the medal-times is that they are way to unforgiving (at least at the beginning.)
Bronze as an example is impossible to get if you fail at any point in a map and you have to respawn to the last checkpoint.

The reason for that is that i had the wrong approach for determining the times.
The maps have multiple routes to the goal. I often defined 4 different routes (each one is faster then the other), run though them and look what times i would get. Platin would be the hardest route (on which i would run through the map as fast as possible) while bronze is the slowest route. (on which i even intentionally do some slight mistakes like not getting a speedvault over a wall properly in order to achieve (somewhat) of an feeling as to how a newcomer would play the map.)

The problem (and i realised that way to late) is that during the 2-3 year development period i've gotten way to good at my own game. So more often then not it turns out that even to slow/inneficient routes are still way to hard and demanding for newcomers. Even if i intentionally do some smaller mistakes to artificially increase the bronze-time, it's still hard for someone who doesn't have the gameplay experience to pull this off.

Balancing those times is really hard. I'll rework them to give newcomers a chance to at least get bronze/silver on the first few maps. (as an example: bronze should still be achievable, even after falling of an edge and respawning on the last checkpoint.)
Since people can come back to the maps after they've gotten better and finish the maps faster. The reason I say this is because I'm not sure if that's meant to be the point, to practice on different maps to increase your skills and then come back to the harder maps or if we should have some maps that are deliberately easier to beat for the sole purpose of newer players. (I've started on more maps already and I'm thinking about making a set of shorter, easier maps to complete.)
It's (somewhat) intentional. (At least i tried to design the maps in such a way. But you know... leveldesign is a completely different story... I'm still very inexperienced in general leveldesign, so it may be that my intentions don't go through...) Parkour (in real life) is something which you learn gradually. At first you may not be es precise with your jumps and you may not see all the different possibilities (routes), but once you practice a bit you start to slowly realise what you truly can do in this game.

That's also partially the reason why there are so many routes to the goal. The slower routes are often the more obvious ones. On the first 2-3 maps, the player might run through them casually while seeing all the different level geometry on its way. Then on some of the later levels you actually have to perform a specific jump or bypass an obstacle in a specific way. By doing so i hope to give the player an "ah, so that's how it works" feeling.
Maybe then he even remebers one particular spot on one on the previous maps which he now could bypass with his newly aquired knowledge. (which allows him to optimise his time even further and thus potentially getting a better time.)

Looking forward for the maps which you are making. ;)