Custom Engine in the works

You have suggestions or want to give feedback to the game or the forum? Post it here!
Site Admin

Custom Engine in the works

Post by Lewa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 pm

This topic is not entirely related to Celaria as a game (but it has affected the development/progress on the game).
As i don't really have any active blog on the internet, i figured i would post this at least here so that others can try it.

So this is the custom game engine which i've been working on in the past weeks/months.
It was written in C++, uses various libraries (SDL for windowing/input, Bulletphysics for collision detection, libpng for texture loading, etc...)
and requires an Graphics Card with (at least) OpenGL 3.3 capability (or higher) as well as a Windows 64-bit operating system.

As this is an early version of the engine it is entirely possible that bugs and/or crashes occur during runtime.
Here are a few screenshots:
[+] Spoiler
The current gameprototype build in this engine features a "singleplayer" mode which is basically just a simple map consisting of randomly placed blocks in order to test out the character controller and physics engine of the game.
The map-editor (while still WIP) has the ability to create/transform and delete objects. Saving and loading of maps is also implemented.

The controls for the player are as follows:
- WASD for movement
- SPACE to jump
- LEFT MOUSE BUTTON for deploying a rope (for basic rope physics)
- ESC opens pause menu

The controls for the editor:
- WASD for movement
- LEFT CLICK selecting an object
- SHIFT + LEFT CLICK selecting objects without deselecting previous ones (allowing you to select multiple objects)
- TAB switching between translation/rotation/scale
- ENTER switching between the player controller and the editor
- DEL deleting selected objects
- ESC opens pause menu

Here is the download of the engine alpha:

Celaria will not be ported over to this new engine (it's far too late for that) but i hope that future projects will be able to benefit from it from this point on.

As always, feedback is appreciated in any form. (Be it here on the forum and/or email, twitter, etc...)