Anyone else having memory issues with this game?

You have suggestions or want to give feedback to the game or the forum? Post it here!
imawakka

Anyone else having memory issues with this game?

Post by imawakka » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:50 am

Hey there!

I recently downloaded this game and was super excited to play it but unfortunately I can't even make it through the tutorial before I run out of memory and it crashes. I can actually turn the game on and in a matter of a couple minutes I can see on my task manager that my memory has hit 100% and crashes my computer. It's clear when watching my task manager that Celaria is using up all my memory. I play ALOT of PC games and this is the only one that has had this effect on my computer.

If anyone is or has experienced the same thing let me know. Also if you know any possible fixes I'd love to hear them.

Lewa
Site Admin

Re: Anyone else having memory issues with this game?

Post by Lewa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 am

Is it crashing the PC completely (like a Bluescreen) or is it only crashing the game?

Can you give a bit more detail about this issue?
Mainly your Hardware Info like:
  • Operating System (Windows 7, Windows 10, 32 bit, 64 bit, etc...)
  • CPU (Intel Core i5, AMD Ryzen 5,etc...)
  • GPU name (AMD Radeon RX580, Geforce GTX 1060, etc...)
  • RAM (4GB, 8GB, etc...)
How much memory is the game using? (And at which point does it crash?)
Which version of the game are you running? (You can see the version number of the game in the menu in the bottom right corner of the screen).
Did you download it from the official website? (which links to the itch.io page)

imawakka

Post by imawakka » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 pm

It is completely crashing my PC. Everything just locks up and I'm forced to just hit the power button on my PC.

Operating Sytem: Windows 10(64 bit)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVIDIAGeForce GTX 1080

It looked like it was using a steady 153MB of memory. Every couple of seconds I could literally just watch my percent usage go up and when I sorted by memory usage in the task manager Celaria was at the top.

I am playing version v5.

I downloaded it from this page https://devlewa.itch.io/celaria.

Also I found this after I posted(Sorry!) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103
It seems that User is having the exact if not VERY similar issue I am.

Lewa
Site Admin

Post by Lewa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:04 am

That's odd.
Given that your issue is comparable to that in the previous topic it has to be software related.

At which point does the game freeze your PC (How much RAM does it consume before it freezes)?

If you don't mind, can you post a screenshot of your taskmanager readout where i can see that issue? (Where the game consumes so much Ram.)
As an example here is mine: (While playing the tutorial level)
[+] Spoiler
I have pretty much identical hardware as you.
Windows 10 64bit, 16 GB Ram, Core I7 6700k,...
Only difference being that i have a Radeon RX480.

/Edit:
Does your Windows username contain non-latin characters? (As this also affects certain directories which the game is using. In my case it would be C:/Users/Lewa/... The alpha version has issues with directories/paths containing non-latin characters.)

imawakka

Post by imawakka » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 am

My computer doesn't crash until what I believe is all of my RAM. A few seconds after it hits 100% usage just the whole PC crashes. Also, my username is imawakka on my PC so I think I should be good there.

(Hopefully I post these images correctly...)
This is the image you requested. This is actually the first time it didn't sit at the top of task manager for usage...Kind of strange

Showing this image to display the gradual rise that occurs when I start Celaria.

imawakka

Post by imawakka » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:32 am

Looks like I'm dumb and don't know how to post images in this text field.

Here just navigate to these urls below.

https://ibb.co/diCEk6
https://ibb.co/ebzuk6

Lewa
Site Admin

Post by Lewa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 am

What you can try to do is to open the ressource monitor which allows you to have a much more detailed view as to what's going on in the operating system. It also allows you to look at the memory usage of all processes (also those which aren't showing up in the taskmanager.)

Simply open the performance tab in the taskmanager. On the bottom of the windows you can see "Ressource Monitor" link.)
Maybe you can find the process which is taking up all of your ram.

But what i noticed is that texture filtering is completely broken on the game client on your PC. (all blocks have a grainy/flickering look.)
This shouldn't be the case.
This is an indication that the game can't load the DLL files correctly in it's game directory which are necessary for it's correct operation.
In this case, it somehow failed to load/access the "xExt.dll" file located in the games directory.

I remember this issue coming up a few weeks before. This happens due to a bug in the engine which caused the game to (silently) fail if the game tried to access any kind of file (like DLL files) which is located in a directory with a non-latin character in it's path. (Took me a long time to figure this one out.)
The game doesn't crash but all the internal DLL calls (like the ones for texture filtering) fail and may cause undefined behaviour. (Which may have something to do with the ram utilization.)

Are you having any other issues with this game? Is the soundtrack playing correctly? Does the mouse cursor work as expected? (Both of those things are handled by the other DLL files like gmsAudiere.dll and window.dll.)

Make sure that
  • You extract the whole zip file into it's own directory (with all the files included in the zip file)
  • Check if your path does not contain non-latin characters (like cryllic characters)
  • Maybe check if some form of security software (like an Antivirus) is blocking the games execution
Example:
[+] Spoiler
I'll recompile the game with a newer Engine version and upload it later today. It supposedly fixes a few bugs (especially the one with the non-latin character compatibility) so chances are that it might resolve your issue.

imawakka

Post by imawakka » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 am

I just restarted my computer.

This is before I start Celaria: https://ibb.co/hQ4WXm

This is a image I took right before closing it: https://ibb.co/iP7eJR (I'm honestly not sure how alarming those numbers on in the image BUT I know for a fact this doesn't happen unless I'm running Celaria)

This image is just to show file path: https://ibb.co/eEQAQ6

As for other issues I think the Soundtrack as far as I can tell sounds great. Also the mouse seems normal. Only thing I can say is After a few times of the game crashing whenever I started the game it would just go to black screen and I could just hear the game but not see anything. I fixed that by changing some values in the options.ini file as it was recommended in another part of the forum. When I could actually play the game I thought it felt really good and fluid.

I hope this information helps. If you need me to test anything else or look into something else let me know.

Lewa
Site Admin

Post by Lewa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:24 am

Yes, this information helps greatly. :)

Did you try to sort the list in the ressource monitor by memory usage? (It should display what exactly is allocating all those gigabytes of RAM.)
The .exe file of celaria seems to use only 70MB. Maybe one of it's sub-processes does the allocations. (should be visible in the list by simply sorting everything by memory usage and looking for the process with the highest RAM usage.)

I recompiled the game with a newer engine version. (which fixes a few bugs internally.) You can download it by clicking HERE.

If you don't mind, check which process allocates that much ram and and try the new game version to see if the issue still persists there.

imawakka

Post by imawakka » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:33 am

Going to be honest and say I wasn't exactly sure which column to sort by for you. But from my brief research it sounded like sorting on the "Commit" column would display what was taking the most RAM.

So here is the image where the data is sorted by the Commit Column: https://ibb.co/jnRFcm

I do think it's odd that it's not at the very top of list the list...But I swear to you this doesn't occur unless Celaria is open. I didn't really see a way to view subprocesses of a parent process(if there even are any???) Am I doing something wrong? Or is there way I can dig deeper into this issue for you?

Also I tried the new version out and had the same result.