[Suggestion] Controller, Turns, and one more thing

You have suggestions or want to give feedback to the game or the forum? Post it here!
Artain

[Suggestion] Controller, Turns, and one more thing

Post by Artain » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:02 pm

[Turns]

90 deegres turns in Celaria are pretty common, same for 180 deegres turns, as such I would like you to implement controls like in mirror edge, something like pressing "Q" = 90 deegres turn left, "E" = 90 deegres turn right and "Z" "X" or "C", preferably "F" = 180 deegres turn.

[Controller]

Doing the above also makes controller support easier to do and way more reliable for players.

[One more thing]

I'd love to see the player being able to draw lines where he moves in freeplay that you can save to make a permanent route guide for yourself when you're trying beating a level for platin.

[Easter Eggs]

Maybe add a code into a game that, oh idk, makes the menu background a gif from another game (i.e. Mirror's Edge, Minecraft, Gmod or CS)
Under normal circumstances I would recommend a rocket launcher code to allow rocket jumping, but that would be a little overwhelming on the collision side of the game, now wouldn't it.

[Kappa]

This is way to much ideas to do them all, but I hope it works out well. Even though I will probably get a response like "I can't promise anything" or "I'm currently working on multiplayer". Wouldn't it be ironic if you wrote exactly that?
Um, what do I say here... Welcome to... No, No... Um... I'm Artain the First, Baka Extraordinaire

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the side note, gratulations for anyone who got that reference.

Lewa
Site Admin

Re: [Suggestion] Controller, Turns, and one more thing

Post by Lewa » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:55 pm

90 deegres turns in Celaria are pretty common, same for 180 deegres turns, as such I would like you to implement controls like in mirror edge, something like pressing "Q" = 90 deegres turn left, "E" = 90 deegres turn right and "Z" "X" or "C", preferably "F" = 180 deegres turn.
Adding this is a possibility, although i have to say that it would be a bit cumbersome to use as you already have to use/press the WASD keys in order to accelerate in the given direction. Pressing Q,E or any other buttons for fixed degree turns would be not really intuitive compared to a simple mouse movement. In addition to that, only a limited number of jumps can be made by turning 90 or 180 degrees, so this feature would be used even less.
[Controller]
Doing the above also makes controller support easier to do and way more reliable for players.
For a controller, this would make more sense than for a PC.
But i'm not sure if i'll ever implement controller support. I was thinking about doing so, but with time i realised that it doesn't really benefit anyone.
The control sheme was designed with fast camera movement in mind. A mouse is simply way more precise and faster compared to an analog stick.
And given that the game isn't going to be released on any console platforms either, controller support doesn't seem to be required in the first place.
But this landed (like all the other stuff that i wasn't able to implement) on my todo-list for a potential sequel.
I'd love to see the player being able to draw lines where he moves in freeplay that you can save to make a permanent route guide for yourself when you're trying beating a level for platin.
I'll note that.
Maybe add a code into a game that, oh idk, makes the menu background a gif from another game (i.e. Mirror's Edge, Minecraft, Gmod or CS)
Under normal circumstances I would recommend a rocket launcher code to allow rocket jumping, but that would be a little overwhelming on the collision side of the game, now wouldn't it.
Easter eggs should be kept secret :)
This is way to much ideas to do them all, but I hope it works out well. Even though I will probably get a response like "I can't promise anything" or "I'm currently working on multiplayer". Wouldn't it be ironic if you wrote exactly that?
The game is in a very late state of development. So i already finished a lot of gameplay elements and determined what features had to be cut from the game in order to ship it in the next months. That's why i sometimes have to say "no". I can't be working on this game forever. :)

Artain

Post by Artain » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks for the big response, man. || Dzięki ^^
Um, what do I say here... Welcome to... No, No... Um... I'm Artain the First, Baka Extraordinaire

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr Gains

Post by Dr Gains » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:03 pm

There is this topic, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=81 , which allows you to use and xbox controller. That being said you might also be able to set up a bind which would move the mouse x amount of inches/degrees to give you the quick turning that youre looking for. Im not too sure where to even look for that, though.

Also, you wouldnt happen to play TF2's rocket jumping would you? Theres hundreds of obstacle-like maps, and its free to play.
Full Map List
Includes Difficulties, Points, Titles, Video Links and more!
[+] Spoiler
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... fUJIZ4WITU
PM me if you would like to see any changes. :)
Last Update: Wednesday December 07, 2016.

Artain

Post by Artain » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Nope, but I certainly know the idea... As for the controller, I would need to probably get to the game maker project file :P (I can only code in GML btw)