[Crash] Error message after hitting goal on custom map

Bugs (physics-bugs,crashes during gameplay,UI-errors,etc...) belong here.
Dr Gains

[Crash] Error message after hitting goal on custom map

Post by Dr Gains » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:11 pm

Completed my map and got this error message:

Code: Select all

of  Step Event0
for object obj_engine:

Attempting to read from outside the buffer, returning 0
at gml_Script_scr_get_map_highscore
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_get_map_highscore (line 0)
gml_Script_scr_write_map_highscore
gml_Script_scr_gui_create_map_finished
gml_Script_scr_start_menu_transition
gml_Script_step_controller
gml_Script_engine_update_loop
gml_Object_obj_engine_Step_0
The only info I can give you is:
-I copied over an older map version with the same name
-I got a higher time than before
-I collected the 2nd gem before I completed
-Was the 2nd time I completed the map

Cheers.

Edit:
I gave the map a new name, played through it again. This time it spat out the error after the 1st playthrough. I collected no gems. This was once I hit the Exit To Menu button. Just a side note: I tried doing that corner bug with new z heights and couldnt replicate it.
Last edited by Dr Gains on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get involved in speedrunning Celaria and compete against friends and others at
https://www.speedrun.com/Celaria
Full Map List
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... fUJIZ4WITU
Last Update: Tuesday June 20, 2017.

Lewa
Site Admin

Re: Error message after hitting goal on custom map

Post by Lewa » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:12 am

Does this error also happen with the new map-version? I'll look into that to see if this has something to do with the way the game loads custom mapfiles.
It seems to be that the highscorefile is somehow corrupted/not compatible with your current version of the map. Maybe it tries to load the highscorefile of another map? (This might lead to crashes, but it shouldn't happen in the first place.)
I gave the map a new name, played through it again. This time it spat out the error after the 1st playthrough.
How did you rename the map? By changing the filename? The highscorefiles are stored in a way so that they can identify the maps their belong to regardless of the filename. (This happens by saving the highscorefile with the name of the map which you set in the editor and by hashing all the mapdata and saving this hash.)
The only way to confuse the game is if you change the map,save it under the same name and the generated hash stays the same (the latter should be impossible.)

You can look up/delete the save files in the localappdata directory on windows. Go into the Celaria directory and then in user/highscore/custom in which the highscorefiles of custom maps are stored.

/Edit: If possible, can you upload the map and the affected highscorefile so that i can take a better look at what exactly went wrong?

Dr Gains

Post by Dr Gains » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:12 am

The map has been given a new name through the editor, I now have 3 different highscore files in the folder:
-KnowTheRopes_05f3657fd0856f5f18fc19c21e4864c4fc2193a6
-LearningTheRopes_c318b5ce2bbd1d86d99a1f666c32cc1588e40b24
-LearningTheRopesTest_8723380e67f30ac8510272ee0bafa715ef30cb56
I sent you a PM for both the map and the highscore.
Get involved in speedrunning Celaria and compete against friends and others at
https://www.speedrun.com/Celaria
Full Map List
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... fUJIZ4WITU
Last Update: Tuesday June 20, 2017.

Lewa
Site Admin

Post by Lewa » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:12 am

I think i fixed it. Have to do a bit of testing to ensure that it's really the case.
The problem wasn't the map nor the highscorefile. I had a logical bug in the code which was reading the highscore files.
Basically (for some reason) i was jumping forward in the buffer while reading (if certain conditions were met) even though i shouldn't...
This caused a buffer overflow as the script attempted to read the loaded file (which was stored in a buffer) on a nonexistent position.

What i don't understand is why this issue didn't crop up during development. It seems that it was linked to the higher number of checkpoints (=jumped a big chunk foward in the buffer) and the placed gems on the map (=attempts to read gem data and crashes due to buffer overflow).

I'll do a bit of testing and if no issues arise after this fix i'll update the curren open alpha v4 download with this fix included.
I'll post here again if the patch is up and ready for download. (And i'll of course check out the updated map. :) )

And thank you for submitting this bugreport.

Lewa
Site Admin

Post by Lewa » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 pm

This bugfix is now included in the patched version of the game.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/celaria/do ... n-alpha-v4

I hope i didn't overlook something. If there are still issues regarding this bug, please let me know.