Cannot save edited maps.

Bugs (physics-bugs,crashes during gameplay,UI-errors,etc...) belong here.
Igorko

Cannot save edited maps.

Post by Igorko » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:03 am

Map saving in map editor does not work.

Celaria Open Alpha v4.
Windows 10.

Lewa
Site Admin

Re: Cannot save edited maps.

Post by Lewa » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:16 am

What exactly happens if you try to save the map? (And how are you trying to save it? Are you using the "save" or "export" button?)
Does it crash for you? (More information on that would be helpfull.)

I'm able to successfully save it with the "save" button (however note that you need to place a player startpoint in the scene before being able to do so or else you will get a popup message that you didn't place one in the scene.)

Igorko

Post by Igorko » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:52 am

When I press ""Save" button and indicate where to save the file, it does not save antything to that location.
New window pop-ups in the editor, saying "Map Saved!", but whenever I try to load that map and/or locate it in its folder, it's gone.

No crashes.
I'll try the "Export" button...

EDIT:

Looks like either saving or exporting does not work.

Lewa
Site Admin

Post by Lewa » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:01 am

The "export" button is for exporting/saving the map in the final (playable) ".cmap" format. You can't load such files into the editor.
(you can read more on that in the mapeditor documentation/introduction on http://www.celaria.com/mapeditor/ )

As to the bug:
It works fine on my system. Maybe it has something to do with the windows permissions?
Try the following:
  • run the game in administrator mode (right click on the game exe > run as administrator)
  • save the map on your desktop (as this is a location in which the user can read/write to without having any problems with the permissions.)
If that doesn't work i'll try to work out if that has something to do with windows 10.

/Edit: I just realised that i have a laptop with windows 10 installed on it. I'll try to replicate this bug on that system.

Igorko

Post by Igorko » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:23 am

Well, I already know what "save" and "export" are for, I just tried to explain tha none of these are working for me :)

Looks like saving map on a Desktop folder works, but the thing is that i placed my "custom_maps" folder within Celatia folder snd saving custom stuff there in not working for some reason...

Still, thanks for help.

Lewa
Site Admin

Post by Lewa » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:28 am

Well, I already know what "save" and "export" are for, I just tried to explain tha none of these are working for me :)
Ah, ok. Good to know that you are already familiar with it. :)
Looks like saving map on a Desktop folder works, but the thing is that i placed my "custom_maps" folder within Celatia folder snd saving custom stuff there in not working for some reason...

Still, thanks for help.
It may be that GM Studios sandboxing prevents the game from reading/writing directly in the same directory in which the game exe is located?
But it's good to know about this issue. I'll investigate further to see what causes this and how this can be resolved.
In the meantime, save the files in a different location. :)

And thank you for submitting this bugreport. ;)

BlueCrescentMoon

Post by BlueCrescentMoon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:28 am

Hey, I had this same problem for a little, I think you just cannot save it into your downloads folder since I can save maps everywhere else but there, I had a separate folder for my maps and ecmaps and then I thought, why not just move Celaria where that folder is and it fixed it. So might just be specific main folders you can't save c/ec maps in.
I'mma nerd, what else is there to say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSb0Euh4p58
Me ^^^

Lewa
Site Admin

Post by Lewa » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:02 pm

It's some sort of bug with the sandboxing system of the engine... this needs to be fixed. (i'll probably create a simple debug application where people can test the file saving.) If that can be reproduced i'll contact the engine developers so that they can look into that.

In the meantime i have updated the alpha v5 download. The editor now checks (after the save attempt) if the file was really saved. If not it will throw an error message.